Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I hate emails (and smses)

I hate emails (and smses)

Technology is not agreeing with me today. I've had nothing but bad news from it- more work, last minute meetings etc. I'm normally not VERY violent, but just for today, i had the urge to slam my phone on the floor, and stomp my laptop into little pieces. Yes, it's that bad.

It all started yesterday actually. I was supposed to meet this girl from SA to do something for Ventures. Obediently, i went to Raffles at the anointed time and waited patiently. half an hour later, i was still alone in that creepy place. so when i panickily asked the girl where she was, she replied (through sms!) that she was held up at the office. Seeing how i had a LTB meeting, and i was already damn late, i left. Unfortunately, it started to rain. very heavily. not willing to stay in that creepo place, i ran in the rain for the shelther of the red door gallery, which, in my opinion, equally creepy. i then had to take a freaking cab to the business block cos i was completely trapped. First blow of bad news through technology.

Second blow into the heart: I've just come home from school after an extremely long and taxing LTB meeting, switched on my laptop and boom! second arrow fired. Ravi (from Ventures) fires me this message through msn, "Why don't you ever check your emails? Reply to it!!!"

Being very weary, i didn't mince my words. "I'm not tied to my computer day and night." At least he had the decency to apologise and looked embarrassed. (he put on the embarrassed emoticon) And to that, he had only just sent out the message in the afternoon, when i was in school!

today, i went to westmall after morning stats class to meet my mum for lunch. boom! third arrow into my heart. Kaushal (my ventures president) smsed me "check your email". Which i then replied "i'm not at home now." Not very nice, especially since he's my president. Ravi (yup, him again!) then messaged me that we needed to see a professor TODAY for ventures. Apparently, that was the email i was supposed to check. Seeing how i last checked my email at 1am, and was in school at 8.30am, I started smoking from the ears a little. Extremely harrassed, i rushed back to school for the aforementioned meeting. And the prof made us wait 30 minutes for it.

and the final dagger into my heart. i came home to some much needed rest, and this sms comes through from York. "check your email, reply asap." that did it. i was so irate that all i could see was rage. Turning on my computer, i changed my msn nick to "dammit! if you have something to tell me, call me and not email me! i'm not tied to my computer day and night!"

Unfortunately, York was online and he became enraged too. he proceeded to take the high road and screamed at me for kao bei-ing, when all he was doing was being responsible. the email, incidentally, was to arrange for a meeting tomorrow for ltb. sigh. what did i do? of course i ripped back, giving it back twice as good. i screamed and raged as fast as my fingers will type. msn, by the way, is a weird medium to scold someone. anyway, luckily we've worked it out. but only after a lot of churlish and mean words were exchanged.

so you see, i have a right to be angry with technology. it has done nothing but bring my bad news. The next time i see Neil Jones, I'm gonna hurl something at him. Down with technology! (and profs who teach technology!)

No comments: