Monday, May 02, 2005

Stupid kite and fireworks

Spent an idyllic day at Marina Bay with Fadz on Sunday. I had been pestering him to take me kite flying and since it was a long weekend, he finally decided to keep his promise.

Now, my past notions of kite flying were that of carefree kites floating carelessly and freely in the sky; me holding the kite serenely while Fadz holds me and smiles. Bullshit. I can now safely assure all of you that kite flying is not very romantic, requires a lot of yanking, pulling, running and screaming around. And a lot of old men do it. Hmmm... It brought to mind the phrase "go fly kite". Lol, only now do I fully comprehend the sexual connotation behind that phrase. Please don't ask me to explain. *blush*

Anyway, our first few gazillion attempts to get the kite up failed miserably. I stubbornly clung on to my belief that my method was correct (clearly wrong) while he persistently tried different methods, albeit they all failed. However, what was glaringly obvious was that we both weren't cooperating and neither wanted to admit that he had failed. It reached the point where we were glaring at each other and speaking in clipped tones. Note to all: if your relationship isn't very stable, please don't go kite flying. You might end up killing each other. I would know. I was plotting his demise in my mind for being such a haughty, stubborn, pain-in-the-ass donkey.

And then it rained.

So that put a halt to our kite flying experiment and we ran for the sheltered haven of the bowling alley. We really are urban wussies. Played 2 games of bowling, and unfortunately, I lost both times. Now, please don't ever be deceived by that seemingly serene and calm facade that Fadz has on. He really is very competitive when he wants to be. He kept rubbing in my face that I a) was losing b) haven't beat him in a long time and c) couldn't keep calm in the face of adversity. Rub rub rub. Nga nga nga. Wanted to punch him so badly.

And we are supposed to be this sweet, old couple who gets on perfectly? Yeah right. Haha.

But I did whoop his ass in the arcade. So there. (Fadz - 1, Joanne - 1. Ding Ding Ding! Round 3, start!)

We then proceeded to give the old kite another attempt. By this time, I was convinced that our stupid Tweety kite was jinxed and would never know the clear blue skies. At least it proved us wrong in the end. We chose a more auspicious spot, ie a place closer to the sea so that there was more wind, and took turns trying to get the stupid kite up. Before long, we were at each other's throats again; he telling me that my method wouldn't work, and me telling him that he was exactly successful either. Sigh, how sweet right?

And when I was cut by some errant string in the grass, all he could say was, "Not painful right? Don't you always say that women have a higher threshold of tolerance for pain?" Idiot. It doesn't matter how small the cut is, or how much pain we can tolerate. It all boils down to that fact that at the end of the day, we just want our man to show concern and coo over us like we were some delicate female, no matter how different we may really be. Bugger it.

But after the requisite sacrificial of blood, the kite-flying gods were appeased and with our powers combined, Tweety finally got off the ground and above the treetops. Yay! Victory!

And then it started to rain. sssiiiigggghhhhhhhh...

Tweety dropped like a dead log and fluttered onto a tree, wrapping its tail around a branch. Tugging match ensued. Fadz leaped onto the tree and started shaking the branch like mad. Crowd gathered to watch. We threw twigs and logs and whatever was available at the kite. The tree fought valiantly to claim the prize. We tired it out. And finally, it gave up the good fight. Tweety was returned to us.

After all that effort, I had to go do a really stupid thing. We got a plastic bag to put the kite in and I threw my bag into the plastic bag, causing the sticks that hold the kite together to snap. I'm surprised that Fadz didn't go into a seizure. :)

We ended that exciting day with a pig-out steamboat/bbq buffet. I made Fadz eat until his stomach expanded and he almost puked. And then we received a nice surprise. Suddenly, the sky lit up with dazzling fireworks that lasted for 5 glorious minutes to celebrate Labour Day, and we had almost front row seats. Yellow, orange, green, pink and purple. It was so beautiful.

And as we held hands watching that spectacle, I knew that everything was great. Even the stupid squabbles were great. Because I have someone beside me to share it all.

No comments: