Sunday, July 10, 2005

Singaporeans Ain't That Bad After All

Sometimes, a few events can shame you into thinking that you're a horrible and uncourteous person. But at the same time, it makes you realise that there are good people out there.

I'm not the nicest person in the world. Quite far from it. Ok, occasionally I give up seats to old people on the train, and pick things up for people, but that's pretty much it. And if I'm in a foul mood or just too damn lazy, I won't even bother to get up from my seat. Damn my screaming conscience and all.

But then you witness some events that make you want to be a better person. Or at least believe that eventually, you'd become that nice too.

I was on my way home from my facial and basically, I was awed by the seemingly simple, yet kind gestures of some Singaporeans (well, at least I'm assuming that they're Singaporeans). This elderly uncle gave up his seat to this harrassed father who was carrying a sleeping toddler. The father was so tired that he prompted fell asleep after settling down.

One seat was dirty and people just shunned away from it or walked to another seat. This man attempted to sit down, but only on the peripheral and hence took up 2 seats. This nice Indian lady from the opposite row took out a packet of tissue and passed it to the man to wipe the dirt away. Once comfortable, the man then gave up his seat to this elderly woman.

But the cutest moment had to be was when a seat freed up in the row, 4 people shifted one seat to the left so that 2 friends could sit side by side.

I know these gestures may not seem earth-shatteringly significant, but if I was on the receiving end, I think it would have made my day. :)

So to all the detractors out there, Singaporeans aren't that apathetic after all. Sure, you read stories about people copying down the license plates of vehicles in an accident, or of adults shielding their vision and nonchalantly looking away as an old man struggles on a crowded bus. But there are so many stories that don't make it to the front newspaper that are nonetheless equally important. To such nice Samaritans, I salute you.

By the way, have you ever wondered why nobody smokes on the train? Don't tell me it's an obvious question, because really, it's not. People still eat and drink on the train. Why not smoke? Seriously, if you saw someone smoking, would you walk up to him and tell him to stop? Very few would. But surprisingly, people automatically obey the law. If you were on the New York sub, you would see people eating burgers and some are even smoking. I know, I've seen it. But here in Singapore, even the angmohs and potheads obey the law dilligently. Is it something in the air that makes people afraid to break the law in Singapore? Or is our "FINE EVERYTHING" stance so terror-inducing that all who walk this country automatically bow to this greatness?

Oh well, it's really to our benefit. At least when I walk into the train, I know I won't be greeted by that pungent and choking smell of cigarette smoke. LOL, oy friends of mine who smoke, I won't object, but doesn't mean I have to like it either. Second hand smoke isn't my idea of a fun night.

If only there could be a law against BO in public transport.

No comments: