Monday, October 31, 2005

Fire, Fire, Burning Bright

What a smoking good way to start the day.

When I woke up at 6am this morning, I was expecting such an exciting morning. It started off normally enough; one of my course modules requires us to play this game for a project, and the bloody freaking game runs for 24 hours. So my group mates and I are going hardcore; we pull grave yard shifts (think 3am) just to record changes and react to situations. Sigh.

Anyway, when I went to the kitchen to scavage for some breakfast, everything seemed as it should be. But 15 minutes later, when I went out of my room again, the first thing that hit my was that the living room was damn smokey.

Alarmed, I stuck my head out of the living room window but there was no smoke. I ran to the kitchen and lo and behold, smoke was belching from the roof. The wind was blowing the smoke into my kitchen, causing the whole place to become dense with smoke.

And so I did what any independent, 20-year old would do: I ran and called my dad.

My dad took stock of the situation and called 995. Miraculously, we heard the sirens 2 minutes later, but for some reason, the fire engine truck never appeared. My dad called again, and the people insisted that they were on their way.

Somehow, my dad figured out that the roof wasn't on fire; the fire was coming from the rubbish chute. Another reason why we girls can't do without our daddies. He ran downstairs to check it out, and by this time, my mum had jumped out of bed and grabbed the important documents (yes, the paranoid mum rules the day).

We ran downstairs (sans documents) once my dad called back to say that the firemen were here and putting out the fire.

Apparrently, some asshole had thrown a cigarette butt down the chute. And in case you're wondering, it's a fairly common occurance, with up to 15 cases a month. I've stayed here for 20 years and it's the first time this has happened. I hope the offender burns in eventually hell. It's only poetic justice for what he had caused.

But what amazed me even more was that nobody noticed the smoke. Hello, people on the 2nd floor, can't you tell that your rubbish chute was emitting smoke, and the area felt uncomfortably hot? You had to wait until the people on the highest floor to notice that the air vent on the roof was belching smoke before some action was taken? Idiots. They deserved to burn in hell for their stupidity, or lack of concern.

Highlight of the whole event: the 2 Malay firemen that came were quite cute. FIY, they came blazing through the streets on shining white motorcycles. Damn cute. And no, I do not have a thing for Malays, ok! I have a thing for all cute guys! *maligned* Shiny bikes, uniforms (yes, I do have a thing for men in uniforms; more manly what), what's there not to like?

And it didn't hurt that by the time the whole debacle was over, it was already too late to attend my morning class. Leisurely eating breakfast with the folks is a nice change from the usual gulping of whatever is available to fill tummy. And back to bed I went after breakfast. Teeheehee.

Ahem, the moral of this event is, if I see anyone of you lighting a cigarette in front of me, I might turn violent. Smoking kills, especially when coupled with stupidity. And in the race of survival of the fittest, the dumb ones just have to go. As a superior being higher up in the food chain than such smoking idiots, it's my duty to keep the balance in check. Hah. So don't give me reason to do harm. Either that, or your body will take care of the dirty deed by killing you from the inside. So don't be stupid, don't smoke ok?

No comments: