Monday, March 20, 2006

What's In A Name?

The other day, I was telling Fadzli that I saw a weird derivative of his name: Fadz Lee bin something something. He was shocked and thought that I was bullshitting him, but seriously, no. Saw it in the Straits Times, honest to God.

So anyway, we got into a discussion and speculated about the name's origin. Perhaps, I suggested, the person had a Chinese mother (surname Lee) who wanted her family name to be preserved by her children. But since her husband is Malay, her child needs to have a Malay-sounding name. Hence Fadzli/Fadzly becomes Fadz Lee.

So jokingly, I said that our children should be something Chan bin Muhammad Fadzli cos I want to preserve my family name. Guess what he came up with?

Totto-Chan (the book) and Koro-Chan (yes, the Japanese potato thingy) bin Muhammad Fadzli.

My poor children are so going to have an identity crisis. Or by laughed to death in primary school.

No comments: