Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Culture Shock
Am I really very scary? Before you answer that, please consider... Is my loud-talking, ass-kicking, rapid speech, boistrous laughing really that intimidating to men? Haha, oh well.

My Investment Banking project group decided to adopt an exchange student. He's Japanese, but alas, does not look like any Japanese God-like celebrity. As least he dresses well.

We were for lunch together at Sakae Sushi. I know, I know... bringing a Japanese to our lame, fastfood-like Japanese food chain. Must have been a slap to his taste buds. AND he didn't recognize most of the sushi that Sakae attempts to pass off for Japanese food.

But what I found most amusing was just how SHY he was around us. You know what happens when Sylvia, Kristin and I get together. We talk loudly, eat tons of food and basically act the complete opposite of demure Japanese girls. That might explain why poor Aki burst into nervous laughter constantly and didn't meet our eyes when we spoke. Now, we're so used to looking at people in their eyes when conversing that I think at one point Kristin was basically frantically searching his eyes to make a connection, and poor Aki was dodging and fidgeting madly.

Sigh, the poor boy has never been outside of Japan. I can just imagine him leaving with the impression that Singaporean women talk too much, outeat the guys and are too direct.

Man! And I usually do demure so well! *coy laugh*

No comments: