Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Killing Me Softly
Sorry Singapore gah-men, but I've yet to feel the wondrous effect of having the IMF meetings held here. In fact, we, the lesser mortals, are being squeezed to death. Literally.

Heightened security, closing of roads, worsening traffic... You gotta love how blindingly optimistic the government can be... going so far as to print optimistic propaganda. Sorry lor, not working. NO, the roads are not moving smoothly. NO, the frequency of public transportation has not increased. NO, life is not similar to before. It is much, much worse.

Because the roads are closed, because the roads are impossible to travel on during peak hour, more people are turning to public transport. What happens? The human squeeze is tripled! I end up smelling people's gross, sweaty armpits! I'm pushed incessantly against the door, against other passengers! And I get to school late!

The government then goes on to claim that it has increased the frequency of trains and buses. Not happening. I think it's getting worse!!! Trains which used to be 2-3 minutes apart are now 5 minutes. I know in normal times it wouldn't matter (2 minutes only what), but during peak hour, when logic is thrown out of the window and people just squeeze and squeeze to save that extra 2 minutes.. it makes a hell of a difference.

And people are getting angry! Very, very angry! I witnessed a fight today on the train because of the lack of private space. This old man was reading his Today newspaper even though it was super crowded. This young man then screamed and ranted at the old man, causing the entire cabin to cease talking to listen in on their conversation. You gotta love the community spirit of Singaporeans. When there's a fight, we circle overhead and pry. Scream, scream, scream, the young man threatens the older man and even told him to "take it outside".

So dear Singapore government, in case you're monitoring the Internet and google the word "Singapore Government" and come across my humble blog, please please please do something to ease the woes of innocent citizens like me. Yes yes, IMF will bring about more jobs, greater spending, prestige, blah, blah, blah. But excuse me for being short-sighted and not thinking on a national level. That's your job, honey. All I can think about is getting to school in one peace and not being squished like the insignificant bug I am.

On the plus side, I might hazard a trip to Suntec for some shopping. Nothing like tightened security to chase away the crowd and bring out the bargains!

No comments: