Thursday, January 11, 2007

SMU Lexicon

Terminology dedicated to the students of SMU.

Word: SMUck [noun]
Explanation: an SMU student who is annoying, annoying here being relative because some find studious people annoying, people who participate too much annoying, people who are free-riders annoying, and of course, people who are just plain annoying annoying.
Usage: What a SMUck! Only know how to talk, but when ask him/her to do work, no where to be found!

Word: SMUgger [noun]
Explanation: an SMU student who studies too much. Can usually be found reading textbook in the library right from Week 1, and is usually the one who does all the supplementary readings/obscure readings/whole life is doing readings.
Usage: He/She is such a SMUgger! Did you hear some of the questions and comments he/she made in class today? Don't know what the hell he/she was talking about!

Word: SMUgathon [noun]
Explanation: prolonged studying session, usually before exams, that can extent to a week or more. Usually conducted in school, it is an exercise that is carried out in one of the hallowed rooms within SMU. A personal space converted into a madhouse of studying.
Usage: Do you know that he/she has been in school since last week studying? Wah lao, major SMUgathon, can!

Word: SMUgging [verb]
Explanation: the act of furious studying by an SMU student.
Usage: Yeah, I know where he/she is. He/she is SMUgging in the library, what else is new?

And of course, all the words can be used in a single conversation.

What a SMUck! Act like he/she knows so much, very great meh? A chao SMUgger who is always SMUgging in the library! Whole life is a SMUgathon. Loser.

Teehee.

On a lighter note, SMU Volleyball Girls beat SIM and NYP! Woohoo! I never knew sitting on the bench can be such an exhuasting experience, especially this year. The match against NYP was nail-bitingly close... I lost all dignity and voice shrieking to keep morale up when the team lagged behind.

Oh yeah, and I finally got to play. Whoopeeee! Since I'm such an agressive person, of course I would love to be on the attacking end. However, considering that I have a height deficiency (average height in volleyball is 165 - 170cm can...), all I can do is defend. Boohoo. Don't want to be like Liverpool. I want to be Man Utd.

Life is good, just incredibly, incredibly busy. Recorded my trial DJ session... I still need to work on that. Tend to stumble over my own words from being nervous. Oops. And I realize I gesticulate a lot. And I mean a lot. Luckily studio is empty aside from myself. Haha!

Being a TA is exhuasting work. I'm the TA for a leadership and teambuilding course, so I have to act as a facilitator sometimes.. which translates not only to attending the actual lesson, but also attending the meetings that the team of freshies assigned to me have. And let me tell you, there are many, many meetings. Sheesh. And of course, I have to be constantly responsible and remind them of their datelines.

It's funny how the older I get, the closer I get to graduation, the more desperate I am to do all the things that students should do. I sort of coasted through my 2nd year at SMU... aside from volleyball and the internship at OCBC, I don't really recall doing much else. Wish I had been even more involved.

Yeah, I definitely think that students should have CCAs. I simply cannot understand one's desire to merely study and miss out on the entire part of having fun as a student. I just cannot. Going home straight after school ends? Not knowing the highs and lows of being in a team? Scary. Well, that's just me.

No comments: