Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Life of an Intern

I can't believe my luck. But man, my internship company has been good to me.

My company is expanding at a rapid pace and they're due for renovation in late August. Currently, new people are joining us almost every week and the lack of space is evident from how people are sharing tables. It's absolutely miserable. Our company currently has space for about 30-odd employees. They plan to increase that headcount to 50 by the end of the year. Do the math. It's madness.

Anyway, I am the latest casualty of this dizzy growth and as a result, I had to sacrifice my seat to a new incumbent, seeing how I'm merely a lowly serf. My boss (the Group HR Manager) graciously offered to share her room and table with me. Panic mounted within me. Helloooooo, how am I supposed to play music, surf the net and chat on msn if I'm in the same room as you? So I quickly volunteered to move into this small room currently used as a meeting place/storage area. There's only 1 tiny table and 3 bar stools in it. Highly uncomfortable, but beats being under a watchful eye. I'd rather sit on the floor than sit in the same room as my boss. So my boss asked my big boss (who's the CFO; in small firms, the CFO is the overseer of everything, HR included) if I could use the room.

And what do you know... my CFO, who is like one of the nicest, most humble and friendly big bosses around, asked my boss to let me use his room as he is away on vacation. Yes, me, in the CFO's room. Which is big, airy, spacious and overlooks Vivocity and Mount Faber. I gulped down my amazement and trepidition. It was such a "What the Bleah!" moment. There was some apprehension seeing how I'm just a freaking intern.. it almost feels intrusive. So I protested a little as I felt slightly uncomfortable. To put it succinctly, although excited, I felt damn pai seh.

Anyhoo, after some protest and reluctance, I vacated my darling seat that has served me well for 8 weeks. Now, I liked that seat so much because it's isolated. My back is protected as there's this huge cupboard behind me and no one can sneak up on me. Moreover, I've gotten pretty chummy with my neighbours. But vacate, I must, amidst lots of cursing and swearing at this new interloper who was going to claim my seat.

But I must say, I was being over-dramatic as usual. My new (albeit temporary; boss coming back on 6 August, which means 3 days of being cooped up in the tiny storage room) seat kicks ass. I don't have the actual guts to sit on my CFO's seat, preferring to use the visitor's chair instead, but the view, the privacy... it is HEAVEN. And the funny thing is, people keep popping in now to check out the room (cos when the CFO was around they obviously wouldn't dare, but the tiny intern...TAKE ADVANTAGE). My IT Manager says "Good morning, boss!" every morning, the CFO's secretary thinks the situation is hilarious (I think she's pretty funny too; so used to knocking, when she enters the room now, she knocks and I feel all weirded out), and my supervisor giggled so hard the first day I moved in my face turned red.

Damn, it's good to be here. Hmm, maybe I should rethink my career path. My HR manager's room pales in comparison to the view I'm getting now.

So hello to the new bad ass, baby. :) :) :) :)

No comments: