Thursday, March 13, 2008

Worst day of my (working) life (so far)

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

YESTERDAY WAS SUCH A SUPREMELY SHITTY DAY THAT I NEED TO VENT ALL MY PENT UP ANGER.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck, motherfucking fuckers with fucking, arrogant, fucking attitude.

Ok, that feels better. I don't usually curse to this magnitude, but sometimes, it's so gratifying to sum up my feelings by screaming....

FUCK. Short and concise.

Yesterday was seriously shitty.

Nearly got drowned in the torrential downpour in the afternoon. I was stupid enough to wear a skirt and high heels, thinking that the weather would hold out for me. Urgh.

My pitiful umbrella was no match for the rain that kept beating down upon me, causing my legs, feet, skirt to be drenched.

I was to attend an event at 7pm, so that meant I had nothing much to do from 2 to 6pm. So being the hardworking person I am (yeah, right), I tried to practice recording my voice.

After numerous, numerous tries, my voice still sounded highly awkward. And my editor commented that I sounded unnatural. Sigh.

Then I pressed the wrong button, causing my headset to screech so loudly that I saw stars. And I think I've become deaf. And brain damaged.

So I left for my event with a massive headache and a ringing in my ear, only to meet more rain (urgh).


Here's the extra shitty part.

I was attending this event at SMU held by this FEMALE group, to discuss about whether Singapore was ready for a female premier.

Sounds interesting, right?

And it really was, to listen to all the different opinions and views about females in the political arena.

I had to do a feature on this issue so I lingered after the event (and this was around 10pm) to speak to the group's President and another panelist.

Wah lao, that stupid bitch was a giant asshole! She is so stuck up her ass on certain feminine issues that my probing caused her to see red. Excuse me for not being a man-bashing, iron-willed bitch! Sorry for representing most people in acknowledging that Singapore is a patriarchial society and accepting women in a dominating role would be difficult! Sorry for not having spent my whole life fighting for female issues that my ignorance caused you to glare at me as if I were a narrow-minded simpleton.

Ka na sai. Invite me to cover your pitiful event still act all holier than though. Bitch.

The other panelist wasn't any better. She's this professor at a local university and evidently, another man-hating old woman.

I know she was tired, but so am I, yeah? I still needed to get soundbite and whatnot, right?

So seeing how it was 10.15pm and I still needed to rush back to file a report THAT very same night, I tried to steer the interview using specific questions.

I asked what I had to asked, and thanked her.

Then she turned around and asked me, "So how long have you been in this job?"

I said, "This is my 5th week".

And she was like, "Oh. So not a hardhitting, hardnosed journalist yet, huh?"

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO INSINUATE? THAT I'M NOT A GOOD JOURNO ISSIT? THAT I DON'T ASK ENOUGH PROBING QUESTIONS ISSIT? MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE ASKED IF YOU WERE MARRIED BECAUSE I HIGHLY DOUBT ANY MAN CAN STAND A BITCH LIKE YOU.

Urgh, you want to represent women's rights, fine. But you also represent what's worst about women in power: overly emotional and bitchy. And you wonder why even women dislike working for women.

So back to the office I went, arriving only at 11pm. Jialat. I wanted to finish before 12 midnight, so that involved some mad writing and cutting of soundbites from the incoherent rubbish the 2 stupid women gave me. I frankly didn't care at that point. I was close to killing people.

I finished, packed up and headed for the cab. Lo and behold, I get another incoherent, loud-mouthed crazy cabbie.

He talked and talked, yelled and yelled, screamed incoherently at the injustices in the world... and I sincerely tried to make out what he was trying to say, but I couldn't. There was something wrong with his speech. So it translated to 15 minutes of random yelling.

Bloody hell. Just get me home lah. As if I care about your opinion. Bleagh.

Fast forward to this morning. I reached the office at 3pm for my night shift, thinking that I was still on for a 6.45pm event. Turns out, my editor switched events the previous night and only told me through an email. Seeing how I was a) out of office b) so harrassed last night that I failed to check my email, I didn't know that I was supposed to go for another event. At 12.30pm.

I started panicking like hell, because I so don't want to piss off my editor. In the end, he tried to mask over a look of irritation (sigh, I guess I deserved it), and told me to do a phone interview instead.

Luckily the guy was friendly enough to acquiesce and talked a lot.

Sigh, sigh, sigh. This week ain't looking so hot. I even lashed out at Fadz this morning cos I was feeling damn pissed off by the rain.


No comments: