Thursday, October 23, 2008

Work Trip

Since some of you asked what the heck I'm going to Germany for... actually, it's quite a funny story.

Ok, my radio station has this weekly programme that focuses on the education scene in Singapore.

So the reporter in charge of it chanced upon this MNC who organises an annual event for students to discuss about the environment.

Students from 17 countries around the world will submit eco-friendly projects to this MNC and 3 lucky and deserving students will be picked for the conference in Germany.

So anyway, my colleague wanted to interview the 3 Singaporean students for his programme when they returned from the trip.

Upon contacting the PR of the MNC, she asked my colleague if he'd like to accompany the students to Germany instead to witness the conference first-hand.

My colleague of course jumped at the opportunity, but lo and behold, he has reservist duty in the same exact week!!!

So he told my boss, and my boss then casually asked me if I was going on leave in November.

I said maybe, cos I wanted to go Batam with Kristin and Sylvia.

Then she said don't, and told me I'd be the backup for the Germany trip whilst my colleague attempted to defer his reservist.

Long story short, he didn't get his deferment, and I stepped into his place.

And so ladies and gentlemen, that's how I ended up being selected to go to Cologne, Germany's 4th largest city and oldest settlement, dating back to the Roman times!!!

Oh god, i'm so excited, and yet, a bit guilty too. I know it's not my fault that my colleague can't go to Germany, but I still feel bad, and in the office, I'm fearful to discuss my trip with my other colleagues, or show too much excitement.

But on the inside, I'm so happy it's sick. And I'm extending my trip by 3 nights so that I can wander and explore the place by myself.

First time I'd be travelling all alone. Cathedral! Musuems! Churches! Beer! Sausages!

Sigh, happy. *grinz*.

Leaving on the 1st, back on the 11th. Starting work on the 12th.

At first my supervisor didn't want to grant me leave. Cos I'm going on leave again in December. But I kept pestering him until he caved in. Hohoho.

But that also means I only have 13 working days to work on my 5 long stories based on the trip, before going on leave.

Yeah! Must work hard.... :)

No comments: