Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Beware of Danga Bay - You Might Die of Boredom!!!

I really shouldn't be so eager to try out new things. Sometimes, things end badly.

With the new train that takes one from Tanjong Pagar train station in Singapore to Danga City Mall in Johor, the supposedly new and exciting destination, I decided to make a day trip up.

Seeing how I've never taken the SIN-JB train, and wanting to see the new mall myself, I figured it'd be pretty fun.

Well, I figured wrong. Touting itself as the "Vision of the South", yeah, Danga Bay is for the blind and boring! There's freaking nothing to do!!!

In fact, I had more fun taking pictures at the Tanjong Pagar train station than I did at the so called Bay!!! What bay! It's just dead marshes and deserted buildings!!

The station is quite cool in its stuck-in-the-last-century kinda way. No air-con, rusty gates, faded murals... but an experience by itself.

If you thought there was no place in Singapore where time stood still, well, this is the place to be. But then again, the train station and the land it sits on officially belongs to Malaysia. So maybe that explains why things haven't changed since 1932!

Arriving at Danga City Mall, Fadz's face became black so quickly I was alarmed. There's 7 floors of.... nothing. Zilch. Less than 50% of the shops are opened. One person described it as having Far East Plaza type of shops. I feel so offended. This is NOTHING like Far East. Think more like Lucky Plaza or People's Park. Eww. Argh. Sucks.

The only thing worth making the trip for? Cheap archery at the top level. 36 arrows for 13 ringgit. I didn't know archery was so tiring and difficult. Didn't hit a single bullseye, but Fadz did.

I started out stronger, but Fadz's competitive nature soon kicked in, while my enthusiasm kinda waned cos the bloody bow is so bloody heavy. In the end, I hit the styrofoam/completely missed the entire target by 4 bows. Sigh.

In less than an hour, we were ready to get the hell out of Danga City Mall and head to Danga Bay. It's supposed to be more entertaining.

My ASS.

The much touted 280-shop single floor Festive Mall is more like a glorified air-conditioned pasam malam.

You know what we ended up doing? Playing arcade. Cos it's so bloody cheap. 1 Ringgit for Time Crisis 3, anyone?

But I managed to convince Fadz to try out a fish spa.... I didn't know it'd be so damn ticklish!

At 15 ringgit for 15 minutes, it's like half priced compared to Singapore. And with only the 2 of us as customers, we had the whole fish pool to ourselves.

The fishes were half interested in my feet, especially the sole. Which was incredibly ticklish and I kept giggling like a stupid kid, much to the amusement of the bored attendants.

But when Fadz put his feet in....

Damn! It was like a swarm of locusts descending on crops! And they never let up! Fadz feet must be like dead.

Tada! We emerged with smoother legs.

Ended the day with a seafood dinner, which is pretty much why we entered into JB in the first place. And you know where we ended up? At the same place we ate like 3-4 years ago, when we first entered JB together. Except previously, the place overlooked the Bay, with few developments.

Fast forward to present day, and our view is now blocked by the stupid Festive Mall and other stupid developments that are mostly empty cos no one in their right mind would think of investing in this hellhole.

But yes, we ate at Senggah Selalu.
A uber chillout place with Ikea-like lighting and giant fans to cool one down.

Cereal oat prawns...

Baby octopus...

Belachan kang kong....

And chilli crab!

If it wasn't for half price Secret Recipe, half price arcade, and half price seafood, and a relatively good-natured Fadz, I would have killed myself.

No comments: