Monday, July 13, 2009

Time to hit the road again


The pull of travel is teasing me again. The siren of the unexplored, the lure of exotic lands, just the desire to get away from Singapore, from my responsibilities, to stop having to think logically and surrender myself to pleasure.


Ah yes, it's definitely time to hit the road again.


Plans for Europe with Kris, Syl and Shawn (yes! a boy! however will we walk around half naked??) this December has been shelved, thanks to the lack leave.


Have since made them sign a blood pact that said trip will be next March. I CANNOT WAIT. CAN EUROPE BE ANY MORE FANTASTIC??? Hot men, hot food, hot locations. The holy trinity. Bliss.


But in the meantime, to help get over my terrible disappointment, shall plan many tiny trips here and there.


Have resurrected the idea of going to Laos with the Fadz. First mooted it some many moons ago, but somehow, never came to fruition. At first, it was money constraint for Fadz.


But since his financials are starting to look a bit brighter, my dreams of the LAST FRONTIER IN SOUTHEAST ASIA may come true after all.


Hmmm, can I possibly squeeze in a little Batam and KL relaxation as well?


Plotting and scheming... please don't ask me how I can possibly afford everything. You might think I have a hidden trust fund or something.


The answer is NO. But I do value travelling, I do see the worth in seeing the world outside of Singapore. To experience life that is not highly sanitised, or perhaps, to even gain a deeper appreciation for what I do have. And of course, when you are travelling, you exist in this bubble that is not interrupted by work, or family, or real life.


Besides, travelling with your other half can be an interesting experience, especially budget travel, where your best and worst sides are revealed.


So anyway, I plan, I budget, I toss saving for a rainy day out the window.


Certainly, I do not advise this route for everyone, living capriciously in the moment and not planning for the future.


But I do recognise that I am in a privileged position, where my family is not waiting for me to put food on the table.


So in that spirit, I NEED to explore. I need to see, to feel, to smell, taste and touch things that I usually only read about, before I'm simply too old, or too tied down, to recklessly throw myself into a foreign land.


And to quiet that incessant restlessness that rears its head ever to often, if I'm being honest.


So yes, on the road again... I'm on the road again. :)

No comments: