Monday, May 24, 2010

A Quarter of a Century (Super long, wordy entry cos the older I get, the more long-winded I become!)


Last year, I was furiously scheduling friends, family and boyfriend into a super-duper deluxe birthday week that saw me partying and eating from one end to the other.

Theme: fabulosity.

This year... recent upheavals in my life taught me how to appreciate quiet moments. So the birthday week was all about spending time with loved ones, with simply dinners and enjoying each other's company.

So it was penciling in and moving around friends, family and (new) boyfriend (hur hur, ok bad joke) to fit my schedule.

In fact, I think many outings weren't even celebrations, more like, it just happened around my birthday. -_-'''

Anyway, I'd take it. Good company, good food, good times.

Flew back from Hong Kong on the 19th. Enjoyed the birthday getaway with the mum, and the gluttony started early.

Attended the MediaCorp News Awards on Friday, got nominated for Young Journo of the Year but alas, lost to the print reporter (wasn't expecting to win anyway).

At least the buffet after the awards was good; had a little too much to drink and gulped down two glasses on an empty stomach (in my defense, I was thirsty), and a third just to get things on the way.

Headed off to Que Pasa with colleagues Gerrie and Jiamei for a night of good food (pizza and chicken wings that can cause an orgasm!!) and more wine (wheee.. another half a bottle!)

I blame the alcohol overload on sheer nervousness. Cos G & JM wanted to meet Zhao Wei. I practically badgered the poor boy to come meet us even though he had worked a really, really long day.

Let's just attribute the anxiety to the fact that JM was decidedly hostile; she never really approved of my actions. She was all set to grill him, and boy, she sure didn't hold back.

I'm proud to say that ZW held his ground and wasn't intimidated. At the end of the night, I'd even say JM thawed out a little. And I know G gave him the thumb's up.

Met half the KB gang on Saturday for dinner. Headed over the Gyu-Kaku at Chijmes and drowned ourselves in bbq meat. As Pei Wen put it, could feel our arteries clogging up.

And we washed it down with peanut butter chocolate shakes at Max Brenner. Seriously, right?

Sunday was a major outing. Cos ZW had planned a whole day of festivities. And he met the parents for the first time (boy, was that awkward).

I knew he had some major game up his sleeves, but boy, I sure wasn't expecting him to pull the rug out from under my feet.

He came bright and early to my door at 10.30am.. Carrying a major plastic bag with two items. I had asked for a framed photograph (cos he's a photog) to hang above my bed, so that was expected.

But he pulled out the other item first... a red breakfast table.

ZW explained that since I didn't have a proper table to work at, and was oftened hunched over my laptop while sitting on the bed, the table would be more comfy as I can lean back. And it's true, I'm using it to type this right now, while leaning back against my pillows.

Well, very thoughtful... but I was having a hard time expressing the appropriate feeling cos well.. it's a breakfast table (sorry baby!).

I wanted my real present! He then pulled out this framed photo of hearts. It's difficult to describe, and I wish I could post photos, but they're all in my handphone and I lost the transfer cable!

Anyway, it's a collage of 25 hearts to represent my age.. and it's so incredibly difficult to describe.. think pictures of... a heart made of nutella on a piece of bread.. or a chalk drawn heart on a black background..

Man, I'm doing a terrible job of describing the photos, and if you guys think it's incredibly cheesy.. screw you! The photos are damn nice!

We then headed out for lunch at Oriole at 313@ Somerset.. On the way there, ZW casually took my hand and commented that I didn't wear rings.

Cue flippant comment from me like "Oh, I have a whole collection of chunky rings, but I don't really like them anymore." He then pulled out a mid-sized ring from his bag.. of this incredibly cute red camera. But I'm sad to report that Mr Lin subsequent broke the ring while holding my hand. @_@

Lunch was good, followed by a movie.. Heard of Snow Prince? Neither had I. But the show was surprisingly good, the cinematography so sweeping that it nearly made me weep, and a tragic story line that really made me cry.

And then things took a little funny twist. We stepped out of the cinema, and spotted those UFO catcher machines. My eyes fell on this incredibly adorable Doraemon doll and I casually challenged ZW to win it for me. (Inside joke)

And he actually did. I was like, you mean people actually win? I even asked him if he rigged the whole thing.. HAHA

We then walked around a little.. which was apparently a diversion tactic cos I had early guessed our dinner location. He brought me to Morton's for steak.

I know. How extravagant, right? I had once mentioned that my fave food in the world was steak, and no one did steak like Morton's. And ZW remembered. Cue jaw dropping.

And Morton's is fabulous. They printed special menus with my name on it, and I was greeted by name by all the servers... Service was impeccable.

The man started ordering like no tomorrow.. think Alaskan King Crab legs, steak, asparagus, salad, chocolate cake...

Mid-way through, he turned to me and pulled out a little powder blue bag. Yes, a Tiffany bag.

At this point, I think I was just overwhelmed by all the gestures and effort that he put in and blurted out that I could not accept his gift.

He reassured me that it was definitely not a ring.. But still!!! I've known the dude for like what.. a month?? I'm not sure if I can articulate the feeling, but it just felt too much, too extravagant, and too soon.

All these grand gestures, that although were greatly appreciated.. also felt a little inappropriate. I'm a simple girl! And such things are reserved for what.. at least the 6-month mark?

Haha, anyway, let's just say the night took an uncomfortable turn that could have been disastrous because my attitude was obviously not what ZW was expecting.

But he's just amazing lah. His thought process? He just wanted to make me happy. And I was, I am.. just.. unsure of how to respond in such a situation.

After the little hiccup, we didn't know where to go as the weather was too darn hot, we were too darn full, and plonked ourselves on the couch outside Morton's.

ZW had a final surprise for me. At first, he was a little hesitant to pass me my final present, after my last violent reaction. But I had recovered and asked for it.

Knowing what a Glee fanatic I am, he pulled out a final gift - the soundtrack of the Glee Madonna episode.

The icing on the cake? ZW actually brought along a CD player just in case I wanted to listen to the CD on the spot. I actually dropped the CD in pure, unadulated shock.

So yeah.. that was my birthday eve celebration.

Anyway, rounded up the celebrations with an excellent Italian dinner with the family at Etna on actual birthday. Ate too much as usual. And still the mum insisted I drink a bottle of bird's nest. Tsk tsk.

All in all, another great birthday.

No comments: