Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Caught between 2 desires

I may bitch a lot about my job but really, i do sometimes think i'm being overly dramatic.

Don't get me wrong; the work can be soul-sapping, especially in Singapore's media climate..

And my environment does get toxic, to the point where i'm afraid to question humanity and the EQ of some people...

But the non-work perks are so damn great.

In reference to my photo, i'm currently having a leisurely lunch at the marriott hotel cafe on a balmy Tuesday afternoon because I CAN.

Whenever i think i have reached my breaking point, a midweek day off really perks me up.

I have ME time - something so precious it's almost like a unicorn, mythical but unreal.

I can eat whatever i want, then do my hair and nails.. Without having to bother with the crowds or fret that i'm keeping someone waiting or have to make small talk.

I'm normally real sociable, but on some days, i just want to scream FTW (fuck the world).

Another perk of the job - being able to take cabs all the time for work. Seriously, i can't emphasise how much that has saved me. Passing out blissfully in the backseat, only to wake up refreshed for my job.

But should i stay in a job just for it's non-work perks?

I suppose if i can switch my brain off and just treat it as any other job.. Do what i have to do and leave.. It might work.

But sometimes i catch myself asking if that's all i'm capable of. Shouldn't i be out on the streets, trying to discover some injustice?

And then i realise it's 10pm, i've been working for 12 hours, and i have a morning job the following day.

And all desire to be a hard-hitting, cutting edge journo disappears.

I guess i'm lucky cos it's not like i need a regular working hours kind of job... No kids to take care off.. And the pay is not great, but i'm not in dire need to pay off a mortgage.

Plus the boyfriend also has shitty hours, so there's no real need to keep regular hours.

So being able to not work on random days, and not having to take work home is a huge, huge plus.

I just wish the actual work was more fulfilling. Then it's really be the perfect job for me.

No comments: