Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Amazing Japan

It's been a little over 2 weeks since I came back from Japan and it's starting to feel like a dream, a glorious, techni-colour dream.

I'd visited Japan on 2 previous occasions. And while those experiences were lovely, travelling with someone who understands the language and culture opens up a whole new dimension.

I finally felt like I could travel previously unexplored territory. Of course, this meant great frustration on ZW's part cos he was my translator. For those who know me, I fire off ten billion questions at a time. Trying to translate and ask questions on my behalf nearly drove him nuts. But that's the perk of him being my boyfriend. He CAN'T stay mad for long. HAHA.

Yes, we fought. I cried, screamed, yelled at him in public.. but we also laughed, loved and experienced joy together. So the good with the bad yeah?

Instead of trying to recreate my entire holiday (who wants to read that?)... here's my top 5 moments instead.

It's almost impossible to condense everything, but I tried.

Oh, and I wanted to put "wearing hairbands and not looking like a prick" as one of the entries, but felt it might be too bimbo.

Here's a picture anyway.


MY TOP FIVE JAPAN 2010 MOMENTS:


5. Eating great food.


1. Giant tempura rice bowl, Asakusa
2. Kaiseki meal at Shikisai, Nikko

How can a trip to Japan be complete without great food? From a quick run to the convenience store for piping hot oden, to street food takoyaki, to meticulously prepared kaiseki meal... every morsel tastes like love and attention has been put into it.


4. Apple picking.


Apple picking in Hirosaki

The apple park is impossibly happy. Kids laughing, idyllic walks through the apple trees, the smell of apple perfuming the air. Apple-related merchandise, food, the best apple ice cream in the world. We could have spent the whole day at the park, just sitting and watching the world go by.


3. Experiencing nature



1. One of 12 lakes in Juniko
2. Red leaves in Towadako
3. Oirase stream in Towadako

I've never been much of a nature girl but ZW is mad for it. So I often found myself huffing and puffing after him. Up mountain trails, through primary forests, circling sparkling blue lakes, freezing at a swamp.

But it was oh-so-worth-it. Some of the scenery I saw was heartachingly beautiful and the sometimes arduous trek only made it even better. Brilliantly clear lakes, shockingly green leaves and the ever elusive autumn colours were a sight to behold.

Only time I came close to losing it was when I asked ZW if I needed to wear boots for one leg, and he vaguely said no need cos it's mainly boardwalks. I even showed him my white shoes and he said it's fine. Luckily I stuck to boots because we ended up trekking TWO HOURS IN A DESERTED FOREST.

2. Onsening my way through some really great places.

Outdoor onsen at Michinoku, Shirakami

When ZW first suggested we go for onsens or hot spring baths, I had my reservations. As much as I'm not a prude, I wasn't about to walk about in mixed baths with my bits exposed for all the gross men to see. And much less, I didn't want to see other people's bits.

But the experience is simply worth the initial mental trauma. Mixed baths were still a no-no, but soaking in a pool of scalding hot water after freezing the whole day is sheer bliss. It's like comfort washes over you and you're forced to relax as your bones and muscles turn to puddle. And we're all women, boobs and pubic hair are really just... boobs and pubic hair. And it's rude to stare.

Besides, it's made me more comfortable in front of the camera. Hey, once you've stripped for other people, nothing fazes you.


1. Travelling with ZW.

Dandelion field in front of a museum, Aomori

He's never too tired to hug or kiss me, to offer a smile, or take care of me. Sure, he has his moments and is known to yell.

But he's the same guy who would patiently wait as I debate with myself for the umpteenth time if i should buy a pink camera pouch, check train timings late into the night while I've already snuggled deep under the covers, look on expectantly as I try out his food recommendations, and listen to me babble on about everything under the sun.






No comments: