Thursday, August 04, 2005

Mambo Baby!

Went Mambo-ing last night. Do you believe that I'm a Mambo virgin? What can I say, I'm a late bloomer. But I've never believed in squeezing myself between sweaty, meaty people and not having the space to really dance. But last night was like, screw it, enough guys are gonna be there. Surely they'd prevent my from getting the breathe gorged outta me. And I was right (almost).

Although the initiation into the land of Mambo was fun, I doubt I'd be going back anytime soon. There were just too many bloody people, too many bloody split drinks, and my clothes were thrashed from being split on, stepped on and pressed unceremoniously against wet counters. Urgh.

But aside from the grousing, highlights of the night had to be dancing with this cute and hot ang moh, seeing York dance very, ahem, interestingly, seeing half my friends get wasted really early in the night, and basically, chilling out with people I haven't seen in close to 2 months. Amen to Zouk for bringing friends together. Cheers.

Phuture's music was really good; pity there bloody wasn't space to move at all. At one point, this stupid guy barged across the dance floor and effectively pushed me aside, causing me to bang into Marcus's friend Jiaming, and because the dance floor was too crowded, I was basically stuck there for a mortifying 5 minutes. Yes, the bloody pusher couldn't move, and yet he kept elbowing me aside. I was pressed up against Jiaming and all I could do was giggle like a stupid bimbo and said Sorry. And poor Marcus. He was so stoned and yet he was trying to be chivalrous and push the guy against me. I dunno if he did it out of herocism for me, or pity for Jiaming. Anyway, his efforts went to waste cos he was so drunk he didn't even have the energy to stand.

Shawn was another knight. He had to keep sober because even before 12, Marcus, York, Sydney and Xiao Hui were slightly over the bend. He spent the night making sure Marcus didn't fall off his chair and that Sydney didn't crumple onto the floor. Hiak hiak, Sydney is damn fun to dance with can, sober or otherwise!

And me? I was fine until I stopped moving. And then the earth started to spin slightly. Wasn't an entirely unpleasant experience, but for someone who hasn't seen a club in 2 months, been cooped up in a horrible work environment, the spinning sensation was liberating. And of course I had to take advantage of Shawn's broad (bony) shoulders for a quick rest. Sigh, if only he didn't bloody reek of smoke.

Mambo was fun enough, I suppose. At first, the synchronized dancing was faintly amusing. But after 3 hours of seeing the same lame (uncute) guys on the elevated platforms, doing the same retro dance steps with their hands but basically not moving much, it felt too much like a para-para dance competition. Yueegghhhs.

So the moral of the story is that for a great night out, get a few girlfriends who know how to shake their asses really well, lots of booze, great music, chivalrous male friends, and the ABSENCE of lame dancing Singaporean men. I know, the last item is a bit hard to find, but a girl can always dream. Or visit an SPG hotspot. Amen.

No comments: