Thursday, June 07, 2007

Impending Doom

It's Day 9 of my internship and I'm sensing impending doom.

I'm about to lose my table.

Yup, for the past few days, I have been happily ensconced at my cubicle, with my own drawers, telephone and stationery. I have a nice brown wide desk and colleagues on either side of me. But all that is about to change.

The company, which is already woefully cramp, is hiring people in a mad rush. Currently, there are only 5 available tables left. 3 more newbies are arriving next week. 2 the following week. And 5 in July.

Do the math, see who's expendable. Seeing how I'm the lowest of low interns, and in the HR department (always the first to get axed/pushed/mistreated), they have decided that I'm the easiest to dispose of.

Oh woe is me. My big boss (the group HR Manager) is thinking of getting me to sit in her office. What a barrel of fun that would be. I would have to mind my Ps and Qs, endure her nagging (she's actually a nice lady, just naggy) and have to be surreptitious with the (mis)use of my Internet authority. Currently, I'm quite flagrant with the way I display my MSN and Skype and random checking of mail. Shitters man. My supervisor tried to save me by suggesting that it'd be highly inconvenient for my big boss cos I need to move in and out, and she needs to have meetings during which I need to vamoose.... I dunno how that would work out. But my replacement location isn't much better - the interview room. Great. Just freaking great. The interview room has no windows, no telephone, high, uncomfortable chairs and a freaking tiny table.

Hmm, should I ask them to shorten my internship? I just wanna get outta there now if that's my future working conditions.

Urgh.

No comments: